The IB Learner Profile provides students with a long-term vision of education. As IB MYP learners, Mariner Middle students and staff strive to be:
- Inquirers: We develop our natural curiosity. We acquire the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research and show independence in learning. We actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout our lives.
- Knowledgeable: We explore concepts, ideas and issues that have local and global significance. In so doing, we acquire in-depth knowledge and develop understanding across a broad and balanced range of disciplines.
- Thinkers: We exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems, and make reasoned, ethical decisions.
- Communicators: We understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively in more than one language and in a variety of modes of communication. We work effectively and willingly in collaboration with others.
- Principled: We act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities. We take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences that accompany them.
- Open-minded: We understand and appreciate our own cultures and personal histories, and are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities. We are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and are willing to grow from the experience.
- Caring: We show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. We have a personal commitment to service, and act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and to the environment.
- Risk-takers: We approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought, and have the independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas and strategies. We are brave and articulate in defending their beliefs.
- Balanced: We understand the importance of intellectual, physical and emotional balance to achieve personal well-being for themselves and others.
- Reflective: We give thoughtful consideration to their own learning and experience. We are able to assess and understand their strengths and limitations in order to support their learning and personal development.
The IB learner profile © International Baccalaureate Organization 2014 IB learner profile booklet